Sunday, December 02, 2007

Vasil Levski monument

V.Levski monument (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_Vasil_Levski,_Sofia) is a center of a wonderful scaled square in Sofia center.
One of the buildings, forming the frame of this square was build in the 70ties - hotel Berlin. Now some big investor is on the way to build something else (I'm not sure what exatly - maybe combination office and shopping). We can only hope that the scale and the form of this square will be not destroyed. But since about one year the building looks terrible.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a very nice photograph and a good narrative about it.

I wanted to describe the White Porcelain Duck I photographed this morning. I did put a picture of it on my Birds Blog as it is a new species I think.

Clueless in Boston said...

Very nice monument. It's too bad it is being swallowed up by all the development in the square. I think most large cities have the same issues with "progress."

Anonymous said...

I hope there's hope for the building behind to be restored...
Brings lots of memories!

Cheers!

Chuckeroon said...

Don't think I ever stayed at the Berlin, and I don't recall this square, but I certainly hope that the City Fathers ensure that planning regulations manage to preserve the best of the city as it modernises.